Tuesday, January 12, 2016

What's My Platform?

I've been writing for a long time. Actually, when I was updating my bio for my website, I just about choked on my grapes when I did the math and realized it'd been 15 years since I started college. 15 years? That makes me feel old. My focus has changed since then, of course, since I have children now and my beat went from restaurant writing to "restaurant tips with kids". While my subject matter has changed quite a bit - my love for sharing what I know has not.
My platform (aka) what I think I know enough about to share with others and care enough about to spend time on, is helping other moms. Not just giving advice here and there, although, that is helpful, but really getting in the trenches with other moms and encouraging them one by one. When I see another mom hurting or crying or having a hard time with her child - I just want to hold her hand and tell her I understand. My first thought is to ask what's wrong and then see if I have any tools in my toolbox to help her through the situation.
Most of the time, moms are open to letting me share what I know. Sometimes they're a bit more private and that's okay, too. I just want to share what I know and what has helped me along the way in any way that I can - whether that's face-to-face or through my writing.
There are many things I like to research, talk about and write about, but when I whittled it down to what gets me excited about life and looking forward to my next assignment, well it would be parenting. Since there is no one-size-fits-all for being a mom, why not share what I know and help other moms in the process? It seems like a win-win to me.
I finished a manuscript this past October and I'm pretty excited about it. It will be a book about my parenting journey, what that looked like (and looks like now) and real-life tips that I hope will inspire you to take control of whatever it is that you might be facing as a mom right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment